- Just three days removed from clinching an Avocado League title on the last day of the regular season, Torrey Pines carried their momentum into the postseason, rallying for a 4-2 come-from-behind victory over Escondido on May 23 in an opening round Div. I playoff game.
The Falcons trailed 2-1 going into the bottom of the sixth, when they staged a three-run rally.
Kristen Filicia, who was 2 for 2 with an RBI and two runs scored, started the rally with a leadoff single.
Falcons starter Lauren Hynes went the distance for the win, allowing two runs on four hits and three walks.
The comeback win capped a week that started with the Falcons moving into sole possession of first place with a 3-0 victory over San Pasqual on May 18. The Falcons clinched the title outright two days later with a 2-1 victory over La Costa Canyon.
Hynes pitched a complete game four-hit shutout to lead the Falcons in the San Pasqual game, and Lauren Morizi sparked the offense, going 2 for 3 with an RBI.
Morizi's two-run homer in the bottom of the fifth was the difference for the Falcons in the LCC game.
Hynes pitched a complete game five-hitter for the win. She struck out five batters and allowed one walk.
The Falcons finished league play with an 8-2 record and improved their overall record for the season to 24-5.
- Cathedral Catholic opened the Div. III playoffs with a 10-3 victory over Brawley.
Beth Smetana had two hits including a triple and four RBI and Milan Botte added two hits.
Dons starter Kiara Boccia was credited with the win. She struck out seven batters and allowed one unearned run on three hits and one walk. Courtney Rivera allowed two unearned runs on three hits and no walks in two innings.
The Dons improved their overall record to 18-11.
- Torrey Pines clinched an Avocado League title as the Falcons defeated Fallbrook 9-2 on May 18.
The Falcons lost to Fallbrook 7-2 two days later in a regular season finale for both teams.
Josh Sabourin had four hits including two doubles and five RBI to lead the Falcons in the title-clinching game.
Evan Mason added three hits including a double, and Joey DeNato had two hits including a homer and three RBI.
DeNato pitched a complete game four-hitter for the win. He struck out nine batters and allowed one walk.
The Falcons concluded with a 12-3 record and took a 21-7 overall mark into the postseason.
- Cathedral Catholic defeated Coronado 7-6 on May 19 to clinch a Western League title.
The Dons lost to Coronado two days later 6-5.
Casey Munoz was 2 for 4 with a homer and Parker Hipp singled and drove in three runs to lead the Dons in the title clincher.
Dons starter Ryan Wilkins went the distance, striking out eight batters and allowing one earned run on seven hits and no walks.
The Dons improved to 10-2 in league and 22-6 overall for the season.
- Santa Fe Christian won its last two regular season games to clinch a share of the Coastal League North title.
The Eagles defeated La Jolla Country Day 4-3 on May 18 and then beat Escondido Charter 9-0 in a regular season finale for both teams on May 20.
Barrett Floyd, Ethen Ogden and Josh Estill each had two hits to lead the Eagles in the LJCD game.
Eagles starter Nolan Gannon struck out eight batters and allowed one walk in four innings of one-hit ball to get the win in the Escondido Charter game.
The Eagles improved to 9-1 in league and 19-6 overall for the season.
- Torrey Pines standout Jessica Schmitt concluded her prep career in grand fashion at the May 23 San Diego Section Div. I championships at Rancho Bernardo High.
Schmitt set a meet record in the 200-meter individual medley, won the 100 breaststroke, and helped lead the 200 medley relay team to a first-place finish.
Schmitt, a USC-bound senior who took last year off to train for the Olympic trials, clocked a 2:00.16 in the 200 IM, eclipsing her own mark of 2:00.94 she set in 2007.
She won the 100 breaststroke in 1:01.85.
Schmitt, Kelsey Loy, Allison DePeralta and Allison Paris set a meet record with a 1:46.72 finish, besting a 2007 Falcons mark.
- Cathedral Catholic's Chelsea Weedman's record setting performance helped the Dons win the Div. II title.
Weedman set a meet record in the 200 IM (2:02.51) and won the 100 breaststroke in 1:04.23, and helped lead the Dons 200 medley relay team to a first-place finish.
Weedman, Jenna Harris, Mia Marinos and Kimberli Boone clocked a 1:50.50.
- In the boys' circuit, Canyon Crest Academy's Reid McCallum placed second in the 50 freestyle (21.45) and placed fourth in the 100 freestyle (47.78).
The Ravens placed sixth overall.
Track and field:
- Torrey Pines' distance standout Alli Billmeyer took first place in the 1,600-meter run at San Diego Section Div. I section championship prelims at Mt. Carmel High on May 23.
Billmeyer, who clocked a 4:51.39, was among two Falcons runners who excelled in the race. Falcons senior Erin Gillingham (4:55.04) placed third.