These are just some of the events taking place in and around Encinitas this weekend. For details, visit http://bit.ly/1M0qGXS.
• iPalpiti Festival: Open Rehearsals, 10 a.m.-noon and 2-5 p.m. Monday-Friday, July 13-17, Encinitas Library, 540 Cornish Drive. Free. Call 760-633-2746.
Watch the musical process in person as the orchestra and Maestro Schmieder create the famous “iPalpiti Sound.”
• Parks & Recreation Summer Camps, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday-Friday, through Aug. 20. Various city facilities. Costs vary, financial assistance available. Call 760-633-2740.
Week-long camps for ages 4-17 in acting, computer, cooking, dance, Lego engineering, science, beach, skateboarding, sports, surf, Seaside Day, and more. Enroll at City Hall or the Community Center.
• Summer Art Camp/Summer Teen Studio, 9 a.m.-2 p.m. now through Aug. 14, Lux Art Institute, 1578 S. El Camino Real. Cost: $275/week members; $350/week guests. https://luxartinstitute.wordpress.com.
Six unique weeks of camp for kids in grades 1-6 and teens in grades 7-11. Projects change each week in media of choice: drawing, painting, sculpture, mixed media, printmaking, collage and photography. Extended hours to 5 p.m.: $5/hour members, $20/hour guests.
• Summer Art & Clay Camp. For ages 4-14. 9 a.m.-12:15 p.m. Monday-Friday, through Aug. 14, $250; 9 a.m.-3 p.m., $370; instructor Carla Funk holds classes at 208 Glen Arbor Drive. Call 760-943-6313.
Enjoy making and learning techniques in clay, including hand building, pottery wheel, plus mosaics, painting and drawing. Please bring a snack.
• Thursday Family Fun Nights: 4:30-8 p.m. Thursdays, through Aug. 27, San Diego Botanic Garden, 230 Quail Gardens Drive. Free with paid admission/membership.
Families are invited to pack up the kids and enjoy some outdoor fun in the Hamilton Children’s Garden. Live, kid-friendly entertainment is provided from 6-7 p.m. YMCA Twinkle Time performs.
• Play: “The Fearsome Pirate Frank,” Park Dale Players, 7 p.m. Friday and Saturday, July 10 and 11, also July 31 and Aug. 1, Olivenhain Pioneer Elementary School, 8000 Calle Acervo. Donation: $5. Call 760-672-3581.
Don’t miss The Park Dale Players in their musical comedy complete with zany pirates, zombie ships, mermaids, and even a woebegone albatross.
• Sparkles the Clown, 10:30 a.m. Friday, July 10, Cardiff Library, 2081 Newcastle Ave. Free. Call 760-753-4027.
Come celebrate Summer Reading, have a laugh, and watch a kid or two be enveloped by a giant bubble!
• iPalpiti Festival: Virtuosi II, Il Due, Tre, 7 p.m. Friday, July 10, reception on the patio, 7:30 p.m. concert, Encinitas Library, 540 Cornish Drive. Tickets: $15 online or at the door. Call 760-633-2746.
The second concert of the festival features the 5 Soloists, award-winning musicians from Finland, Austria, Japan, Ecuador and Russia, in performances of Prokofiev’s Sonata for 2 Violins, and Beethoven’s String Trio in C Minor.
• Comic Books Exchange Event, 1 p.m. Saturday, July 11, Encinitas Library, 540 Cornish Drive. Free. Info: http://www.sdcl.org/locations_EN.html; call 760-753-7376.
Tired of your old comics? Looking for new titles to read? Come and swap books with other teens.
• Switchfoot Bro-Am: Saturday, July 11, 7 a.m.-3:30 p.m. surf contest, noon-5 p.m. concert, Moonlight Beach, 400 B St. Free. Info: https://broam.org
The 11th annual event features the Rob Machado Bro Junior surf contest, the noon concert, plus beach vendors, the latest in environmental innovation, and more.
• Wildlife Walk at Santa Helena, 9-11 a.m. Saturday, July 11, San Elijo Lagoon (check website for map). Free. Info: http://sanelijo.org/welcome-san-elijo-lagoon-conservancy
Access the heart of the East Basin where you can see west over the lagoon from an elevated mesa. Naturalists will point out birds, plants and animals.
• Opening Reception: Justin Dilmore, Billy Barnett; noon-5 p.m. Saturday, July 11, Cardiff Library, 2081 Newcastle Ave. Free. Info: 760-753-4027.
Sacred Nature. Both are artists at Eventide Tattoo with varied backgrounds in visual art. Justin Dilmore discovered his love of art as a child reading comic books. Billy Barnett is a life-long artist, nature has been a constant inspiration in his work. Meet the artists and enjoy refreshments.
• Families Making History: Pinwheels. Noon-4 p.m. every Saturday and Sunday, San Dieguito Heritage Museum, 450 Quail Gardens Drive, Encinitas. Free. Call 760-632-9711.
Every weekend, enjoy fun activities that revolve around a historical theme. In July, we think of pinwheels as representations of the windmills that dotted the county’s farmsteads, bringing water to the surface for use in growing lima beans and other crops.
• Ornate Pine Needle Basketweaving, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday, July 11, Nadine Spier home studio in Olivenhain. Cost: $50 plus $35 materials. Call 760-944-9369.
In this one-day workshop, students learn how to coil a beautiful basket from pine needles, using Irish waxed linen thread to stitch, and a polished stone as an ornate center. What a wonderfully creative way to recycle from the environment.
• iPalpiti Festival: Virtuosi III, French Night: 7 p.m. Saturday, July 11, reception on the patio, 7:30 p.m. concert, Encinitas Library, 540 Cornish Drive. Tickets: $15 online, or at the door: 760-633-2746.
The third concert of the festival features the 5 Soloists, award-winning musicians from Finland, Austria, Japan, Ecuador and Russia, in performances of Faure’s “Elegy,” Debussy’s Cello Sonata in D Minor, and Chausson’s Piano Trio in G Minor.
• Botanic Garden Workshops: 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Sunday, July 12, San Diego Botanic Garden, 230 Quail Gardens Drive. Cost: $30, $36, plus $70 material fee. Info: http://www.sdbgarden.org/classes.htm.
Living Wall-Vertical Garden. Learn the basics in planting a living wall. Students will plant a 10-foot-by-20-foot wall composed of a variety of low-water succulents.
Watercolor Botanical Pour Workshop. 9:30 a.m.-4 p.m. Sunday, July 12. Cost: $81, $97. Info: http://www.sdbgarden.org/classes.htm. Water-media pours provide harmonious glowing washes of color on paper. Paint will be poured on wet paper with a “let it go” attitude. All levels are welcome to take this class.
• iPalpiti Festival: Virtuosi IV, Romantic Smorgasbord: 1:30 p.m. Sunday, July 12, reception on the patio, 2 p.m. concert, Encinitas Library, 540 Cornish Drive. Tickets: $15 online or at the door: 760-633-2746.
The fourth concert of the festival features the 5 Soloists, award-winning musicians from Finland, Austria, Japan, Ecuador and Russia, in performances of Dvorák’s Piano Quintet in A Major, Schumann’s Quintet in E-flat Major, Franck’s Piano Quintet in F Minor, and Brahms’ Piano Quartet No. 1.
• La Paloma Theatre, 471 S. Coast Highway 101, Encinitas. Tickets: $10, $9 (cash only). Call 760-436-SHOW (7469).
“Love and Mercy,” “Rocky Horror Picture Show.”
• JFS Coastal Club, 10 a.m.-2:30 p.m. Tuesday, July 14, Temple Solel, 3575 Manchester Ave., Cardiff. Activities free, lunch: $7. Reserve for lunch by noon Monday, July 13, to 858-674-1123. Info: http://www.jfssd.org/site/PageServer?pagename=programs_older_coastal_club
Seniors 60-plus, choose from several different activities: 10 a.m., Flexibility and Fitness Yoga with Silver Age Yoga instructor Danyll Monroe; 11 a.m., “Rule of Capture” with author Ona Russel, who discusses how a chance, almost mystical research encounter changed the course of her life; a healthy lunch is served at noon; at 1 p.m. see the film “Land Ho.” RSVP for lunch by Monday at noon to 858-674-1123.
• iPalpiti Festival: Host a Musician, 6 p.m. Tuesday, July 14 and Friday, July 17. Email Jim Gilliam at email@example.com, or call 760-633-2746.
Enjoy a cultural exchange with one or more of the iPalpiti musicians by treating them to dinner.
• Fraud and Scam Awareness Presentation, 4-5 p.m. Tuesday, July 14, Encinitas Community & Senior Center, 1140 Oakcrest Park Drive. Free. Info: 760-633-2250.
This presentation by the San Diego Sheriff’s Dept. North County Coastal Command Crime Prevention Unit will educate you on scam and fraud awareness. Topics will include types of scams, nine signs of scams, how not to be a victim, reporting a scam, resources, websites, and more.