Modern Home Tours LLC is hosting the 2015 San Diego Modern Home Tour on Oct. 10, part of the San Diego Architectural Foundation’s Archtoberfest. Tourgoers will have the opportunity to visit several modern private residences in San Diego, and meet the architects.
The official line-up:
• In the Crown Point neighborhood of Pacific Beach, visit a unit in the new Petros Row Home development. The four luxury units have an inward-looking design focused on gracious courtyards, with floor-to-ceiling windows that draw in light.
• A home situated at the top of Del Mar Terrace that enjoys a magnificent flow of light, air and space accented by glass walls. The home features bamboo flooring, 17-foot ceilings, a Japanese soaking tub, steam room and sauna, two outdoor dining areas, and an oversized private deck. It’s also a total solar-powered home!
• The “Wedge House” in University Heights showcases a complete renovation of a 1960s home. The new remodel makes the ground floor into a generous open plan, making visual and social connections to the second-story family room.
• In La Jolla, visit a green home for a couple about to retire. This extensive remodel demolished interior walls, while keeping just 50 percent of exterior walls. A low-profile pyramid-shaped roof with a pyramid-shaped skylight brings in lots of natural light, and clerestory windows (operable by remote) help create cross-ventilation for passive cooling.
• A collaboration between Zephyr Partners and Mark Gross & Associates in Leucadia. This new home features a floating staircase, exposed beams, brushed concrete floors and reclaimed materials, balanced with disappearing glass walls and copious outdoor living space.
• In La Mesa, visit a complete renovation that was considered by most to be a total teardown. Every single surface inside was replaced, as well as nearly every piece of the home’s exterior. The result is a fresh, bright and modern home that features natural materials and custom woodworking throughout.
Homes open their doors for viewing from 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Oct. 10. Tickets are $30 in advance online; $40 on tour day. Kids under 12 are free with parents.
For a roster of homes with details and photos, and to buy tickets, visit https://modernhometours.com/event/2015-san-diego-modern-home-tour.