Police: Couple killed in Torrey Highlands were killed by son, who then took his own life

Detectives are continuing to investigate the case to determine a motive.

San Diego police homicide investigators said they suspect the married couple found dead in a Torrey Highlands home on Saturday, Aug. 17, were killed by their son, who took his own life by jumping from a freeway overpass in University City Friday, Aug. 16.

Officers had discovered the bodies of a man and woman in their home on Via Rivera near Via Santillana on Saturday, Aug. 17, after they were called to check on them. Family members became concerned when the couple did not arrive in San Francisco as expected earlier that day.

Police said in a news release Monday, Aug. 19, that homicide investigators believe the couple, both in their 50s, were killed by their son, who killed himself early Friday morning, Aug. 16, by jumping from the Eastgate Mall overpass at Interstate 805.

The victims have been identified as Xiaoqun Fang, age 58 (mother) and Yi Cheng, age 58 (father). The suspect has been identified as Fang Cheng, age 30 (son).

According to the Monday, Aug. 19, news release, San Diego police and California Highway Patrol officers responded to a call Friday, Aug. 16, about a person jumping from the overpass at about 2 a.m. Officers responding to the call found the body of a man, who died at the scene, on the freeway.

The next day, police officers responded to a call asking for a welfare check of the Torrey Highlands couple. Officers arrived at about 10 p.m., knocked on the door and telephoned the home, but there was no answer, police said.

Officers then looked through a rear window and saw the body of a person on the living room floor, prompting them to force entry into the home.

Once inside, officers discovered a dead man and woman who both appeared to have trauma to their upper bodies. Police reported that the home otherwise did not appear to be disturbed.

Detectives are continuing to investigate the case to determine a motive.

-- Gary Warth is a reporter for The San Diego Union-Tribune