- Santa Fe Christian’s balanced offense makes them a formidable opponent.
Throw in a lights-out defense, and the Eagles are practically unbeatable.
That combination was in full force as SFC routed Calvin Christian of Escondido, 69-32, in a Coastal League North game on Jan. 22.
The victory followed a 54-43 win against San Dieguito Academy of Encinitas on Jan. 20.
The Eagles defense was especially dominant in the Calvin Christian game, as they blanked their opponent in the first quarter and held them to just nine points in the first half.
Kyle Hubbard led the Eagles with 15 points and Bradley Searle added 14 points.
Karl Holmlund scored 21 points to lead the Eagles against San Dieguito and Cade Gotta added nine points.
The Eagles improved to 3-0 in league and 14-5 overall for the season.
- Cathedral Catholic snapped a six-game losing streak with a 66-55 victory University City in a Western League game on Jan. 22.
Jack Enright scored 20 points to lead the Dons. Marco Kengott contributed 19 points and Nick Madden added 15 points.
The victory followed a 49-37 loss to Scripps Ranch on Jan. 19 in which Madden led the Dons with 18 points and Marco Kengott added seven points.
The Dons improved to 1-4 in league and 8-8 overall for the season.
- Torrey Pines saw its season-best, nine-game winning streak snapped as Escondido upset them, 69-64, in an Avocado League game on Jan. 22.
The Falcons had opened league play two days earlier with a 50-31 victory over Fallbrook.
Amir Begovic scored 21 points to lead the Falcons and Max Heller added 20 points. Falcons’ perimeter shooting specialist Nick Kerr was held to 11 points. Kerr scored 17 points and Begovic added 14 points to lead the Falcons in the Fallbrook game.
The Falcons fell to 15-2 overall for the season and 1-1 in league.
- The San Diego Jewish Academy suffered its first Citrus League West loss, 76-63, to Christian Life Academy of Escondido on Jan. 21.
The loss followed a 63-52 league victory over Guajome Park Academy of Vista two days earlier.
Jordan Sharf scored 13 points to lead the Lions in the CLA game, and Drew Ferris added 10 points. Jacob Katz scored 22 points to lead the Lions against GPA.
The Lions fell to 2-1 in league and 6-5 overall for the season.
- Torrey Pines has picked up in Avocado League play where it left off in nonleague play.
The Falcons won their first two league games, defeating Escondido, 57-44, on Jan. 22 after shellacking Fallbrook, 80-23, in a league opener for both teams on Jan. 20.
The Falcons won for the fifth time in their last six games and for the eighth time in 10 games as they improved to 2-0 in league and 12-6 overall for the season.
Megan McClurg scored 16 points to lead the Falcons in the Escondido game and Heather Serven added 14 points.
McClurg scored 23 points to lead the Falcons in the Fallbrook game.
- Cathedral Catholic had its four-game winning streak snapped as the Dons lost to Lutheran of Orange, 68-25, in a nonleague game on Jan. 23.
The Dons a day earlier improved to 4-1 in Western League play with a decisive 58-12 victory over University City. The loss dropped the Dons to 10-10 overall.
Christina Kime scored 13 points to lead the Dons in the University City game.
- Santa Fe Christian snapped a seven-game losing streak with a 57-48 Coastal League North victory over Calvin Christian of Escondido on Jan. 22.
Kiara Quinn scored 25 points to lead the Eagles and Brittany Bushor added 16 points. Makenna White contributed 10 points.
The Eagles improved to 1-2 in league and 7-12 overall for the season.
- Canyon Crest Academy won for the ninth time in 10 games as the Ravens defeated Horizon of San Diego, 60-48, in a Coastal League South game on Jan. 22.
Two days earlier the Ravens had defeated Parker of San Diego in a league game 41-35.
Tasha Quintana scored 14 points to lead the Ravens in the Horizon game and Nicole Leonard added 13 points.
Leonard scored 16 points to lead the Ravens in the Francis Parker game.
The Ravens improved to 2-1 in league and 14-6 overall for the season.
- San Diego Jewish Academy stretched its unbeaten streak to start the season to 10 games after playing Horizon to a 1-1 tie in a nonleague game on Jan. 19.
Noam Baltinester scored the Lions’ only goal off an assist from Josh Losner.
Lions goalie Jorge Adler had three saves.
The Lions are 6-0-4 overall for the season.
Track and field:
- Santa Fe Christian standout Jenna Puterbaugh won the 100-meter event at the Mira Mesa qualifying meet for next week’s inaugural California Indoor Invitational.
Puterbaugh won the event in 7.08 seconds, nine-tenths of a second faster than her closest competitor, Valexsia Droughn (Rio Mesa of Oxnard), the defending CIF state champion.
Puterbaugh will compete for the CIF title Feb. 6 at Fresno’s Save-Mart Center.