Falcons, Mavericks dominate league
- Torrey Pines survived a scare to remain deadlocked atop the Avocado League standings.
The Falcons held on to defeat upset-minded Mission Hills, 62-60, in a league game on Feb. 12.
The victory sets up a pivotal showdown against La Costa Canyon on Feb. 19 at 7:30 p.m., at LCC, with sole possession of the league title likely at stake.
The Falcons improved to 7-1 in league and 22-3 overall for the season. They were tied with the Mavericks, 7-1, 22-3, going into league games scheduled for Feb. 17 (Torrey Pines was slated to play San Pasqual, and LCC was scheduled to play Mission Hills).
Nick Kerr scored a career-high 34 points to lead the Falcons, and Amir Begovic added 12 points.
The victory followed an 81-64 payback win on Feb. 10 against Escondido, which handed the Falcons their only league loss on Jan. 22.
Kerr scored 22 points to lead the Falcons against Escondido, and Max Heller added 15 points and six assists.
Scott Mainquist added 13 points and grabbed 12 rebounds and Jesse Neugarten added 12 points.
- Santa Fe Christian clinched at least a share of the Coastal League North and remained undefeated in league play through seven games after defeating Calvin Christian 51-33 on Feb. 12.
SFC defeated San Dieguito Academy 63-45 two days earlier.
Karl Holmlund and Bradley Searle each scored 13 points to lead the Eagles in the Calvin Christian game.
Holmlund scored 12 points to lead the Eagles in the San Dieguito Academy game, and Jeff Mallon added 11 points.
The Eagles improved to 18-7 overall for the season.
The Eagles looked to close the deal on a perfect league campaign on Feb. 17, when they played Army-Navy (5-1).
- Cathedral Catholic had its four-game winning streak snapped as the Dons lost to Lincoln 82-71 in a Western League game on Feb. 9.
Two days later, the Dons lost to University City 78-73.
Nick Madden scored 24 points to lead the Dons in the Lincoln game.
Jack Enright added 15 points and Marco Kengott contributed 11 points.
Corey Garcia scored 16 points to lead the Dons in the University City game, and Xavier Williams and Blake Wolfe each added 10 points.
The Dons fell to 4-6 in league and 11-10 overall for the season.
- Canyon Crest Academy lost to Bishop’s 67-42 in a Coastal League South game on Feb. 12.
Ryan Kroner and Max Newman each scored 12 points in defeat for CCA.
The Ravens fell to 2-5 in league and 12-14 overall for the season.
- San Diego Jewish Academy defeated Christian Life Academy 76-38 in a Citrus League West game on Feb. 9.
Jacob Katz scored 30 points and had 18 rebounds to lead the Lions, who improved to 5-4 in league and 9-8 overall for the season.
Mike Levy added 13 points for the Lions and Stan Kaplun contributed 10 points and six assists.
Jordan Sharf had four points, seven assists and five steals.
- Canyon Crest Academy lost to perennial state power Bishop’s of La Jolla 64-31 in a Coastal League South game on Feb. 12.
Two days earlier, the Ravens defeated Parker of San Diego 53-29 in a league game.
Nicole Leonard scored nine points to lead the Ravens in the Bishop’s game.
Alex Brunt-Pluta scored 12 points to lead the Ravens against Parker, and Leonard added 11 points.
The Ravens fell to 3-3 in league and 17-9 overall for the season.
- Cathedral Catholic defeated University City of San Diego 63-46 in a Western League game on Feb. 11.
Emily Kearney scored 20 points to lead the Dons and Carolyn Franke added 12 points.
The Dons improved to 8-2 in league and 14-11 overall for the season.
- Torrey Pines defeated Mission Hills 64-42 in an Avocado League game on Feb. 12 for its third straight win.
The Falcons two days earlier defeated Escondido 63-39.
Megan McClurg scored 15 points to lead the Falcons in the Escondido game. Kristen Nasella contributed 13 points and Sarah Lawrence added 10 points and five assists.
Megen Fennessy pulled down 17 rebounds and had six assists for the Falcons.
- Torrey Pines extended its unbeaten streak to 11 games after defeating Escondido 4-1 on Feb. 10 and Mission Hills 2-0 two days later.
Nicole Sherwin scored two goals to lead the Falcons in the Escondido game and Mary Harrah contributed one goal and had one assist. Alexandra Bailey added one goal for the Falcons and Delaney Giacalone and Katherine Trees each contributed one assist.
Olivia Buechler and Emily Jones each scored one goal for the Falcons in the Mission Hills game, and Taylor Sims and Bailey each contributed one assist.
Falcons goalie Heather Schlesier had four saves.
The Falcons improved to 7-0-1 in league and 14-3-1 overall for the season.