Falcons win regional title in golf by six strokes
- Perennial power Torrey Pines won the Southern California Regional title with a decisive 6-stroke victory at Golf Club of Rancho California in Murrieta (formerly known as the SCGA course) on June 2.
Alex Wagner fired a 4-under 68 score and Jay Hwang shot a 69 to lead the Falcons, who shot a combined 3-under-par 357 on the 18-hole par-72 course.
Michael Kim shot a 72, Andrew Burgess and Bobby Gojungco added 73 scores, and David Smith shot a 75.
The victory sent the Falcons to the June 8 state championship meet at Santa Maria Country Club. The Falcons, who won their eighth Southern California title in school history, were seeking their second state title in seven years.
The Falcons were the only team to combine for team score below par.
- Cathedral Catholic’s amazing run ended with a 4-2 loss to El Capitan of Lakeside in a Div. III San Diego Section championship game on June 5 at San Diego State’s Tony Gwynn Stadium.
The Dons were riding a 10-game winning streak and seeking their third consecutive title, a feat few thought was possible after graduating nine seniors.
The Dons advanced to the finals after defeating St. Augustine of San Diego 3-0 in a May 28 quarterfinal, and then a dramatic 4-3 semifinal victory over Montgomery of San Diego on June 1.
Daniel Camarena pitched a seven-hit shutout in the St. Augustine game, in which he struck out seven batters and allowed no walks.
Ray Lowder had two hits and two RBI and Jeff Healey had two hits and drove in one run to lead the Dons offensively.
The Dons rallied from a 3-2 deficit in a dramatic victory over Montgomery, scoring two runs in the top of the seventh.
Lowder led the Dons with three hits including a homer and three RBI.
Tommy Valles and Nick Fornaca each added two hits.
Dons starter Danny Tyson, who was credited with the victory, pitched six innings, allowing three runs (two earned) on six hits and no walks.
Camarena pitched a scoreless seventh inning for the save.
Camarena had a triple and Eric Sapp and Fornaca each had one hit and one RBI in defeat for the Dons in the title game.
Camarena, who took the loss, allowed four runs (one earned) on nine hits and two walks.
The Dons concluded their season with a 22-10 overall record.
- Torrey Pines’ playoff run ended with a 7-3 loss to Poway in the Div. I semifinals on June 1.
Zach Zehner had three hits, and Andrew Goodman homered and drove in two runs to lead the Falcons offensively.
Falcons starter Josh Sabourin, who was among four Falcons pitchers used in the game, took the loss.
Poway broke a scoreless tie in the top of the third, when it scored five runs, and led 6-0 in the fifth when the Falcons scored three runs.
The Falcons concluded their season with a 24-11 overall record.
Track and Field:
- Torrey Pines junior middle distance standout Alli Billmeyer placed second in the 1,600 meters at the June 4-5 state meet at Buchanan High of Clovis (near Fresno).
Billmeyer clocked a 4:47.79, just more than a second behind Redondo Union’s Chloe Curtis (4:46.63).
Falcons senior Megan Morgan placed third in the 3,200, clocking a 10:29.70 in a race Rancho Bernardo’s Molly Grabill (10:20.25) finished first.
- Santa Fe Christian senior Jenna Puterbaugh took fourth place in the 200 (23.99) and eighth in the 100 (11.79).
Westview’s Kortney Ross won the pole vault title for a second straight year, with a 13-foot, 6-inch performance.