No new burglaries reported in series
By Karen Billing
There have been no additional burglaries reported in the Del Mar Heights and Carmel Valley area burglary series since two suspects were arrested on Nov. 18, according to Carmel Valley Northwestern Division Lt. Andrew Hoffman.
In recent months, 10 homes were reported broken into using similar methods, including two older crimes that were recently reported as the homeowners had been away. Two suspects were caught Nov. 18 after breaking into two Del Mar Heights-area homes and were linked to one of the earlier burglaries in the series.
“We’re hesitant to say we got our guys and this series is over but as of yet, we’re keeping our fingers crossed,” Hoffman said.
Police were able to link the suspects to another case in southeast San Diego, Hoffman said, indicating they have been operating in two areas of the city.
Hoffman said the police department’s Northwestern Division has been committed to stopping this crime series and has put “significant” resources on the problem. He said it is important that homeowners do their part and remember to lock their windows and doors, set alarms and report any suspicious activity.
Call the Northwestern Division at (858) 523-7000.