Philanthropy Spotlight: Junior Seau Foundation
The Junior Seau Foundation’s overall mission is to educate and empower young people through the support of child abuse prevention, drug and alcohol awareness, recreational opportunities, anti-juvenile delinquency efforts and complimentary educational programs.
The foundation strives to achieve its mission through financial contributions from corporations and individuals. For 15 years, the Junior Seau Foundation has given San Diego youths ongoing support in the form of scholarships and financial support for a variety of programs. Two such programs are the Scholars of Excellence and the annual Shop with a Jock.
The Scholars of Excellence program was created to recognize young men and women who are dedicated to both personal and academic excellence. Financial assistance is granted to scholars who have the desire, but not the means, to achieve their dreams through higher education.
During the holiday season, the annual Shop with a Jock program provides a festive dinner, a visit with Santa, and fun-filled games and activities for 200 underprivileged children from Boys & Girls Clubs. Afterward, the children are paired with a San Diego athlete who accompanies them on a holiday shopping spree throughout the store.
To learn more about the Junior Seau Foundation, visit
2009 Scholars of Excellence Awards Reception
- Almost 200 high school seniors from San Diego County applied for 23 scholarships, totaling $100,000. The program was designed to recognize young men and women who are dedicated to both personal and academic excellence.
- Aug. 5
- Qualcomm corporate offices
- For more information, e-mail
Ninth Annual TeammatesLuncheon Honoring NASCAR Champion Jimmie Johnson
- 11:30 a.m. Oct. 6
- Hyatt Regency La Jolla at Aventine
- For sponsorship information, call (858) 244-SEAU, ext. 103, or e-mail