SeaStars take part in Synchronized Swimming National Championships
Members of the San Diego SeaStars Synchronized Swimming Team participated in the 2014 U.S. Age Group Synchronized Swimming National Championships last week. Nearly 1,000 athletes ages 11 to 19 took part in the competition, held June 27-July 5 in Federal Way, Wash.
This was the first year the SeaStars had 11 athletes from the club qualify for the competition and qualify to compete in five different categories, including:
• 13-15 solos: Alexandra Suarez,11th place; Ainsleigh Douglas, 13th place
• 13-15 duet: Ainsleigh Douglas and Alexandra Suarez, 11th place
• 13-15 trio: Ainsleigh Douglas, Alexandra Suarez, and Cloie Collier, 14th place
• 13-15 team: Charleigh Boukas, Allison Erickson, Michaela Higginson, Amanda McDonald, Emerson Mitchell, Hailey Phillipson, Sarrah Romero, Kayla Zimkin, 26th place
• 11-12 duet: Michaela Higginson and Kayla Zimkin, 29th place
The U.S. Age Group Synchronized Swimming National Championship is the final competition of the season for the team. The team will host their annual Water Show on Saturday, July 26, at Mt. Miguel High School. Tickets are available at the door. Practice for the 2014-2015 season will begin September 2014.
Synchronized swimming requires a unique combination of strength, agility, endurance, flexibility and speed. The San Diego SeaStars practice three to six hours per day, four days per week at the Mt. Miguel High School Swimming Pool.
The team is accepting new swimmers. Contact Coach Julee Lashley at email@example.com or visit www.sdsynchro.com.