Torrey Pines boys hoopsters fall short in finals
By Gideon Rubin
- Torrey Pines started the season red-hot but fell short of a shot at the state finals after Tuesday’s 49-46 loss to El Camino.
Torrey Pines, a Div. I finalist last season, met El Camino at the Jenny Craig Arena with a state tournament berth at stake.
The Falcons led at the half with 25 to 19. But the Wildcats closed the gap to 38-36 in the third and ramped up their effort to finish the game, scoring 13 points in the fourth.
Nick Kerr contributed 14 points, while Amir Begovic scored 13. Jesse Neugarten and Max Heller contributed 9 points each.
The top-seeded Falcons advanced to the San Diego Section Div. I semifinals after decisive victories in the first two rounds. They opened with a 71-58 first-round victory over Otay Ranch on Feb. 23, and beat Poway 66-52 in a quarterfinal three days later.
Kerr scored 18 points and had 10 rebounds and Begovic scored 17 points and grabbed 11 boards to lead the Falcons in the Otay Ranch game.
Neugarten added 12 points and Ray Xu contributed 11 points.
Heller was a key factor too for the Falcons with seven assists.
Heller took matters into his own hands in the Poway game, scoring 24 points to lead the Falcons. He also had four assists.
Kerr contributed 17 points and Begovic added 10 points.
- Santa Fe Christian lost to Francis Parker 59-45 in a Div. IV quarterfinal on Feb. 23.
The Eagles’ loss followed an 84-38 thrashing of Holtville in the first round.
Karl Holmlund scored 14 points to lead the Falcons in the Francis Parker game and Kyle Hubbard added nine points.
Freshman guard Justin Byrd led the Eagles with a career-high 16 points in the Holtville game and Bradley Searle added 15 points.
Byrd was playing in just second varsity game.
The Eagles fell to 20-8 overall for the season.
- Cathedral Catholic, a defending San Diego Section finalist, lost to La Jolla 53-45 in a Div. III quarterfinal on Feb. 26.
The Dons opened the playoffs with a 61-44 victory over Kearny.
Nick Madden led the Dons with 21 points in the La Jolla game and Jack Enright added 11 points.
Madden’s 19 points led the Dons against Kearny. Enright added 12 points and Corey Garcia contributed 11 points.
The Dons fell to 13-12 overall for the season.
- Canyon Crest Academy lost to Southwest of San Diego 60-50 in a Div. III quarterfinal on Feb. 26.
The loss followed a 56-49 opening round win against Santana.
Max McCarthy scored 16 points to lead the Ravens in the Southwest game, and Cory Osetkowski added 14 points.
Ryan Kroner contributed 10 points and 13 rebounds, and Osetkowski had 12 boards.
Kroner scored 24 points and had 17 rebounds to lead the Ravens in the Santana game. Osetkowski added 13 points and Mac Biblowitz added six points and 11 boards.
The Ravens fell to 14-14 overall for the season.
- San Diego Jewish Academy lost to Maranatha Christian of San Diego 72-31 in a Div. V quarterfinal on Feb. 27.
The Lions opened the playoffs with a 78-45 throttling of Southern California Yeshiva of La Jolla on Feb. 23.
Jacob Katz scored 22 points and had 14 rebounds to lead the Lions in the SCY game, and Jordan Sharf added 12 points.
The loss dropped the Lions to overall record for the season to 11-11.
- Defending San Diego Section Div. III champion Canyon Crest Academy closed to within one victory of a return trip to the finals.
The Ravens defeated Mission Bay 63-47 in a first round game on Feb. 24 and they beat Montgomery 53-49 three days later. They were scheduled to play Mount Miguel on March 3.
Tasha Quintana scored 12 points and Nicole Leonard added 11 points to lead the Ravens in the Mission Bay game.
Leonard scored 15 points to lead the Ravens in the Montgomery game, and Kiara Hawkins added 12 points.
The Ravens improved to 20-9 overall for the season.
- Defending San Diego Section finalist Cathedral Catholic advanced to the Div. III semifinals after defeating El Capitan 70-38 in the first round and beating Monte Vista 70-52 three days later.
Christina Kime scored 25 points to lead the Dons in the El Capitan game, and Emily Kearney added 12 points.
Kime poured in 36 points and Malia Nawhahine added 13 points to lead the Dons in the Monte Vista game.
The Dons improved to 17-12 overall for the season.
- Torrey Pines lost to Granite Hills 59-56 in a Div. I quarterfinal on Feb. 27.
The loss followed a 62-42 first-round win against Rancho Bernardo on Feb. 24.
Heather Serven scored 24 points to lead the Falcons in the Rancho Bernardo game and Megan Fennessy added 10 points and 14 rebounds.
The Falcons fell to 18-10 overall for the season.
- Santa Fe Christian lost to perennial power La Jolla Country Day 85-25 in a Div. III quarterfinal on Feb. 26.
The Eagles defeated Holtville 50-46 in the first round on Feb. 24.
Kiara Quinn scored 19 points to lead the Eagles in the Holtville game and Brittany Bushor added 13 points.
Quinn scored 12 points in defeat for the Eagles in the LJCD game.
- Defending San Diego Section champion Torrey Pines ended its unbeaten streak Tuesday in a match-up against Rancho Buena Vista, 1-0.
The Longhorns will now advance to the CIF San Diego Section final.
The No. 1 seeded Falcons were coming off of a victory over Eastlake 4-0 in a Div. I quarterfinal on Feb. 26.
In that game, Kory Spotts scored two goals to lead the Falcons, and Nicole Sherwin contributed one goal and one assist.
Meghan O’Rourke and Nicole Sherwin each scored one goal for the Falcons.
Falcons goalie Hunter Rigggers had two saves.
The Falcons’ overall record for the season is 16-3-3.
- Cathedral Catholic defeated El Capitan of Lakeside 2-1 in a Div. III quarterfinal on Feb. 26.
The Dons improved their overall record for the season to 14-6-5.
Danielle Brito and Veronica Halen each scored one goal to lead the Falcons, and Jamie Schneiders had one assist.
- Cathedral Catholic defeated San Dieguito Academy 1-0 in a Div. III quarterfinal on Feb. 27.
Josh Cintas scored the only goal in the match and Dons goalie Drew Ilijevski had five saves.
The Dons improved their overall record for the season to 17-3-3.