Eleven people have applied to fill Doug Perkins’ vacancy on the Del Mar Union School District board. The candidates will be interviewed at a public meeting on March 4 at 5:45 p.m. at Del Mar Hills Academy. After the interviews, the board will determine which candidate they would like to join the board and the new trustee will be administered the oath of office.
Candidate names were revealed on Friday, Feb. 27 and include:
•Randy Berholtz, attorney, current executive vice president and general council secretary at Innovus Pharma
•Jen Charat, book editor, Ashley Falls PTA president
• Stephen Cochrane, special education professor, owner of Therapuetic Karate, Sage Canyon parent
• Russell Coronado, psychologist and senior director of South County Special Education Local Plan Area for the San Diego County Office of Education, former Chula Vista Elementary School District board president
• Candice Fink, attorney for Sony Electronics, Ashley Falls parent
• Darren Gretler, assistant director of department of planning and development services for San Diego County, Sage Canyon parent
• Erica Halpern, former chief operating officer for investment banking services with Goldman Sachs, Del Mar Heights PTA vice president
• Jeffrey Hatter, owner 1-800 Radiator & AC franchise, former teacher and lecturer, current Carmel Del Mar parent
• Robert Nascenzi, former senior executive in high-tech industry, former CCA Foundation board member, Court Appointed Special Advocate through Voices for Children
• Summer Shenq, licensed cosmetologist, former mortgage specialist, current Ashley Falls parent and PTA board member
• Bob Shopes, financial advisor, Torrey Pines Community Planning Board member, former chair of DMUSD 7-11 Committee, Del Mar Hills parent
Candidates will be allowed eight minutes each to present any information to the board. All candidates will then be asked the same set of questions and given three minutes to respond. The interviews will take approximately 15 minutes per candidate and the order in which they are interviewed will be determined at random.