• Nothing came easy for Cathedral Catholic early on in the season.
After a forgettable season opener in which they lost to Folsom by 45 points, the Dons got back on track by grinding out tough wins against a formidable nonleague schedule.
And these days it seems like the Dons are barely breaking a sweat.
The Dons on Oct. 31 extended their winning streak to nine games with a 35-3 Eastern League victory over Mira Mesa.
Hogan Irwin rushed for two touchdowns, including a 62-yarder in the first quarter that set the tone for the Dons.
He also contributed a 13-yard scoring run in the third quarter that broke open a 14-3 game.
Dons quarterback Clayton Dale threw for two touchdown passes. He completed a 20-yard scoring pass to Kai Walter in the first quarter that gave the Dons a 14-0 lead, and a 29-yarder to Courtney Richardson in the third quarter that made it 28-3.
Carter Hamilton contributed a 52-yard scoring run in the fourth quarter.
The Dons improved to 4-0 in league and 9-1 overall for the season.
• Santa Fe Christian defeated La Jolla Country Day 31-21 in a Coastal League game on Nov. 1.
Benton Weeks rushed for 178 yards on 22 carries, and Kevin Loney gained 82 rushing yards and scored twice on eight carries.
Eagles quarterback Carter Roberts completed two of five pass attempts for 24 yards with one touchdown and no interceptions, and David Divjak added a rushing touchdown from three yards out on his only carry.
Loney had three sacks and seven tackles, and Bryce Thompson had 10 tackles and two sacks to lead the Eagles defensivley.
Roberts also contributed defensively with two interceptions.
Caleb Armendariz and Caleb Phillips each had 10 tackles, and Chris Hermes added nine tackles.
The Eagles improved to 3-1 in league and 5-4 overall for the season.
• Torrey Pines defeated Mt. Carmel 37-21 in an Avocado League West game on Oct. 31.
The Falcons improved to 2-1 in league and 5-4 overall for the season.
• La Costa Canyon lost to Oceanside 35-6 in an Avocado League West game on Oct. 31.
LCC’s only scoring came on Jake Koehnke field goals from 47 and 39 yards out.
The Mavericks fell to 0-3 in league and 5-4 overall for the season.
• San Diego Jewish Academy lost to St. Michael’s Prep 52-26 in a nonleague game on Oct. 30.
The Lions fell to 0-5 overall for the season.
• Santa Fe Christian defeated Calvin Christian 3-0 (25-16, 25-21, 26-24) in a Coastal League match on Oct. 31.
The victory followed a 3-1 (25-18, 14-25, 25-19, 25-23) loss to Bishop’s in a league match two days earlier.
Casey Castillo led the Eagles in the Calvin Christian game with 15 kills, 15 digs and five blocks.
Nicolina Duhs and Ellie Adamson contributed 12 and nine assists, respectively.
The Eagles improved to 3-2 in league and 12-12 overall for the season.
• Cathedral Catholic defeated Patrick Henry 3-1 (25-21, 25-17, 22-25, 25-19) in a Western League match on Oct. 29.
The victory followed a 3-2 (25-19, 25-23, 12-25, 22-25, 15-12) loss to Scripps Ranch in a league match the previous day.
Lauren Woodard had 12 kills to lead the Dons, and Pani Napoleon added nine kills.
Jeni Clark and Lexi Dorn had 18 and 15 assists, respectively.
Dorn led the Dons in the Scripps Ranch game with 19 kills and 22 assists, and Woodard added 12 kills.
Clark had 31 assists.
The Dons improved to 6-5 in league and 16-14 overall for the season.
• Torrey Pines had its nine-game winning streak snapped as the Falcons lost to Mira Costa of Manhattan Beach 3-1 (16-25, 25-19, 25-21, 26-24) in a Santa Barbara Tournament of Champions match on Nov. 1.
The Falcons opened the tournament with a 3-2 (25-19, 25-21, 17-25, 24-26), 15-9) victory over Great Oak of Temecula on Oct. 31 and defeated Campolindo of Moraga (Contra Costa County) 3-0 the next day.
The Falcons earlier in the week defeated Mt. Carmel 3-0 in an Oct. 29 Palomar League match.
The Falcons, who are ranked No. 5 in the state and 17th in the nation by MaxPreps.com, improved to 8-0 in league and 23-5 overall for the season.
• San Dieguito Academy defeated San Pasqual 3-1 (25-16, 25-17, 18-25, 25-19) in an Avocado League East match on Oct. 29.
The Mustangs improved to 5-2 in league and 20-11 overall for the season.
• San Diego Jewish Academy defeated Maranatha Christian 3-0 in an Ocean League game on Oct. 30.
The Lions extended their winning streak to four matches as they improved to 6-1 in league and 12-3 overall for the season.
• Torrey Pines defeated Poway 5-0 in a Palomar League game on Oct. 30.
Samantha “Sammy” Cirino and Alayna Tomlinson each scored two goals to lead the Falcons and Shannon Yogerst added three assists.
Falcons goalie Jaden Watkins was credited with the shutout.
The Falcons improved to 7-0 in league and 16-5 overall for the season.