• A Torrey Pines team that nearly upset perennial power Cathedral Catholic earlier this year will get another shot at it.
The Falcons will meet the Dons in the San Diego Section Open Division quarterfinals on Nov. 7. They secured a No. 7 playoff seed in after defeating La Costa Canyon 13-0 in an Avocado League West game Nov. 21.
That sets up the eagerly anticipated rematch with No. 2 Cathedral Catholic on Nov. 21.
Torrey Pines more than held its own in an 8-7 loss to the Dons in a nonleague game on Sept. 12.
The Falcons led that game 7-3 going into the fourth quarter, but the Dons closed to within two points on a safety and Timothy Semenza’s 21-yard field goal in the closing minutes capped the comeback win.
That dispiriting loss dropped Torrey Pines to 0-3 to start the season under first-year coach Ron Gladnick, but the Falcons have since won six of their last seven games.
Their most recent win was their third straight.
The Falcons broke a scoreless tie in the second quarter when Sandy Plashkes scored on a 1-yard run. Christian Gange scored on a run from the 5 in the fourth quarter to extend the Falcons’ lead to 13-0.
The Falcons improved to 3-1 in league and 6-4 overall for the season.
The Mavericks fell to 0-4 in league and 5-5 overall for the season as they lost for the fourth time in five games.
• Facing an opponent that it could easily see again soon in the playoffs, Santa Fe Christian will at least have some familiarity with a very tough small-school program.
That was one of the few positives the Eagles could extract from a 49-7 loss to Christian of El Cajon in a nonleague game Nov. 7. The game was a possible preview of a Division III quarterfinal.
The Eagles, who are seeded No. 7, will play No. 10 La Jolla on Nov. 14. The winner will play No. 2 Christian of El Cajon in a Nov. 21 playoff game (Christian has a first-round bye).
Benton Weeks rushed for 153 yards on 20 carries in defeat for the Eagles. Carter Roberts completed five of 14 pass attempts for 87 yards with one interception and contributed a rushing touchdown for the Eagles. Eagles sophomore Connor Whitton was 3-for-3 passing for 77 yards.
Caleb Phillips led the Eagles defensively with five tackles and one sack and R.J. Walker contributed six tackles.
The Eagles fell to 5-5 overall for the season.
• San Diego Jewish Academy snapped a five-game losing streak going back to the start the season as the Lions played to a 43-43 tie with Julian in a nonleague game on Nov. 6.
• San Dieguito Academy exacted a measure of revenge against Mission Hills with a 3-0 Avocado League East victory on Nov. 7.
The Mustangs lost to Mission Hills 3-2 25-21, 23-25, 25-19, 22-25, 15-12) in the first round of league on Oct. 22.
Karina Langli had 12 kills to lead the Mustangs and Leah McManus added eight kills.
Mustangs setter Lindsey King had 29 assists.
The victory followed a tough 3-2 (25-9, 25-27, 19-25, 25-19, 15-14) league loss to Del Norte two days earlier, in which Langli led the Mustangs with 18 kills, Sarah Colla added 14 kills and King contributed 48 assists.
The Mustangs improved to 7-3 in league and 22-12 overall for the season.
• Cathedral Catholic defeated Our Lady of the Peace 3-1 (25-22, 25-19, 22-25, 25-11) in a Western League match on Nov. 5.
Lauren Woodard had 15 kills to lead the Dons and Lexi Dorn added 10 kills.
Jeni Clark contributed 26 assists and Dorn had 14 assists.
The Dons improved to 7-5 in league and 17-14 overall for the season.
• Torrey Pines won the San Diego Section team championships as the Falcons shot a combined 742 at the two-day tournament at Admiral Baker South Golf Course on Nov. 6.
Sophomore standout Muni He led the Falcons, shooting a combined 144 on the 18-hole par-72 course. He finished tied for fourth.
The Falcons finished 22 strokes ahead of their closest competitor, Rancho Bernardo.
The Falcons later this month will seek an unheard-of fifth straight state championship.
• Torrey Pines extended its winning streak to 11 games as the Falcons defeated Mt. Carmel 6-1 in a Palomar League game on Nov. 7.
Farah Farjood scored two and Danielle Jackel scored one goal and had two assists to lead the Falcons.
The victory followed a 9-0 league win against Rancho Bernardo three days earlier in which Rylie Pope and Shannon Yogerst each scored two goals and Samantha “Sammy” Cirino and Meaghan Donnelly each had one goal and two assists.
Falcons goalie Jaden Watkins, who had three saves, was credited with the shutout.
The Falcons improved to 9-0 in league and 18-5 overall for the season.
• Canyon Crest Academy defeated Rancho Bernardo 2-0 in a Palomar League game on Nov. 6.
Arielle Shahrabani and Anita Kelleher each scored one goal to lead the Ravens and Allie Ma and Rayna Higuchi each contributed one assist.
Miranda Rafner and Madi McIntyre combined for the shutout.
The victory followed a 1-0 league win over Poway two days earlier in which Shahrabani scored the game’s only goal off an assist from Higuchi.
McIntyre was credited with the shutout.
The Ravens improved to 5-4 in league and 12-9 overall for the season.