The week in sports for Carmel Valley, Del Mar, Encinitas, Rancho Santa Fe and Solana Beach
By Gideon Rubin
• Cathedral Catholic overcame an early deficit and the Dons never looked back on their way to a 57-22 shellacking of St. Augustine in an Eastern League game on Oct. 24.
St. Augustine jumped out to a 7-0 lead early in the first quarter, but the Dons answered on their next possession, when Clayton Dale completed a 50-yard scoring pass to Hogan Irwin.
The Dons broke the game open in a decisive second quarter, when they outscored their opponents 22-7.
The Dons jumped out to a 15-7 lead when Dale completed a 40-yard scoring pass to Drew Cowell. Dale threw to Kai Walter for a two-point conversion that gave the Dons a lead they’d never relinquish.
After St. Augustine closed to within 15-14 on a 52-yard scoring run, the Dons extended their lead when Adam Eastwood scored on a seven-yard run and Dale completed an 18-yard scoring pass to Walter to give them a 28-14 lead going into the intermission.
Cowell scored on a 60-yard run late in the game to highlight a second half in which the Dons outscored St. Augustine 28-8.
The Dons improved to 3-0 in league and 8-1 overall for the season.
• Torrey Pines defeated El Camino 14-0 in an Avocado League West game on Oct. 24.
The Falcons broke a scoreless deadlock in the second quarter when Sandy Plashkes completed a 21-yard scoring pass Lukas Braun.
Quinn Morimoto scored on a 10-yard run in the third quarter to give the Falcons a 14-0 lead.
The Falcons improved to 2-1 in league and 4-4 overall for the season.
• La Costa Canyon overcame an early deficit to defeat Westview 35-21 in a nonleague game on Oct. 24.
The Mavericks trailed 14-0 going into the second quarter when they scored three touchdowns to take a 21-14 lead into the intermission.
LCC quarterback Duke Mackle rushed for two touchdowns and threw for two more scores to lead the comeback.
After D.J. Sy scored on an eight-yard run to close LCC to within 14-7 early in the second quarter, Mackle scored on a 22-yard run to tie the game and then completed a 30-yard scoring pass to Cade Jackson that put the Mustangs ahead.
Mackle completed a 27-yard scoring pass to Cory Morris and scored on a 10-yard run in a third quarter in which the Mustangs extended their lead to 35-14.
The Mustangs improved their overall record for the season to 5-3.
• Santa Fe Christian lost to Bishop’s 35-3 in a Coastal League game on Oct. 25.
Quarterback Carter Roberts completed 12 of 25 pass attempts for 181 yards with no interceptions in defeat for the Eagles.
Benton Weeks contributed 42 rushing yards on 10 carries.
Sam Ray led the Eagles defensively with 14 tackles and Caleb Phillips added 10 tackles.
The Eagles trailed 14-0 late in the second quarter when Jake Bailey kicked a 35-yard field goal.
The Eagles fell to 2-1 in league and 4-4 overall for the season.
• San Diego Jewish Academy lost to St. Joseph’s Academy 54-27 in a nonleague game on Oct. 24.
The Lions fell to 0-4 overall for the season.
• San Dieguito Academy defeated San Marcos 3-0 (25-11, 25-19, 25-19) in an Avocado League East match on Oct. 24.
Katrina Langli had nine kills to lead the Mustangs, and Sarah Colla and Leah McManus each added six kills.
Mustangs setter Lindsey King had 26 assists.
The victory followed a 3-2 loss to Mission Hills in a league game on Oct. 22 in which Langli led the Mustangs with 15 kills.
The Mustangs improved to 4-2 in league and 19-11 overall for the season.
• Torrey Pines defeated Westview 3-0 (25-12, 28-26, 25-23) in a Palomar League match on Oct. 22.
Savannah Rennie had 15 kills to lead the Falcons, and Chiara Spain and Jillian Strockis each added seven kills.
Camille Oemcke contributed 30 assists.
The Falcons improved to 6-0 in league and 19-4 overall for the season.
• Cathedral Catholic lost to La Jolla 3-0 in a Western League match on Oct. 22.
Cali Bunn had five kills to lead the Dons and Jeni Clark contributed 13 assists.
The Dons fell to 5-4 in league and 15-13 overall for the season.
• Canyon Crest Academy defeated Mt. Carmel 3-0 (25-18, 25-14, 25-7) in a Palomar League match on Oct. 22.
The Ravens improved to 3-3 in league and 22-6 overall for the season.
• Torrey Pines extended its winning streak to seven games as the Falcons defeated Westview 3-1 in a Palomar League game on Oct. 23.
Rylie Pope, Gabi Jimenez and Alayna Tomlinson each scored one goal to lead the Falcons and Clare Young contributed one assist.
Falcons goalie Jaden Watkins had four saves.
The Falcons improved to 5-0 in league and 14-5 overall for the season.
• Canyon Crest Academy defeated Mt. Carmel 2-0 in a Palomar League game on Oct. 23.
Kragen Metz scored one goal and had one assist to lead the Ravens.
Arielle Shahrabani added one goal and Allie Ma contributed one assist.
Ravens goalie Madi McIntyre had three saves.
The Ravens improved to 3-2 in league and 10-7 overall for the season.