Welcome to summer: Concerts, horse racing, fair among events ahead
Del Mar and Solana Beach will offer residents plenty of ways to relax and enjoy the summer of 2010. Whether looking to cool off with a movie, or soak up some sun with a beach campout, there’s always something going on in these towns by the sea.
ConcertsSusan McCrea and Soul Seduction.
The drummer and her band will perform jazz, blues and baby boomer favorites. 6 p.m. May 28 and 5 p.m. June 6, Del Mar Plaza, 1555 Camino del Mar, Del Mar. Free. (858) 792-1555,
Randy Fontaine the Swingers
- The last First Thursdays concert of the season will include music by Cole Porter, the Gershwins and Rodgers and Hart. 7 p.m. June 3, Del Mar Powerhouse Community Center, 1700 Coast Blvd., Del Mar. (858) 635-1363,
Spanish Guitar Del Mar and Mark Langford.
These locals will play classical and flamenco guitar, featuring nylon-string guitarist Mark Langford. 6 p.m. June 4, Del Mar Plaza, 1555 Camino del Mar, Del Mar. Free. (858) 792-1555,
Children’s Summer Concert with Hullabaloo
- The kid-folk duo will perform some of their hits. June 6. Details pending. Check
for more information.
The musician examines life questions through song with optimism and hope. 6 p.m. June 18, Del Mar Plaza, 1555 Camino del Mar, Del Mar. Free. (858) 792-1555,
The violinist, composer and producer will present songs crafted with a Middle Eastern fusion folk edge. 6 p.m. June 25, Del Mar Plaza, 1555 Camino del Mar, Del Mar. Free. (858) 792-1555,
Bert Turetzky with the Wethersfield Trio.
The First Thursdays 2010-11 season will kick off with more than 600 years of chamber music. 7 p.m. Sept. 2, Del Mar Powerhouse Community Center, 1700 Coast Blvd., Del Mar. $175 for the season (10 concerts). (858) 635-1363,
Summer Twilight Concert Series
- Musical acts perform at Powerhouse Park overlooking the ocean. 7 p.m. one Tuesday per month, June-September, Del Mar Powerhouse Park, 1600 Coast Blvd., Del Mar. Free. (858) 635-1363,
Events are free and presented at the Del Mar Branch Library, 1309 Camino del Mar. (858) 755-1666,
Summer Reading Club kickoff.
Join Captain Book and sign up for the fun. 11 a.m. June 16.
Summer Story Time.
Kids of all ages can hear stories at this weekly event. 10:30 a.m. Tuesdays, June 22-Aug. 3.
Make a summer journal with Karen Lusby.
Adults and teens will learn how to turn books into summer journals. Registration required. 1 p.m. June 26.
- An introduction to science for young children through water play. 11 a.m. June 30.
Popsicle Story Time.
A great way for families to cool off during the summer heat. 11:30 a.m. Thursdays, July 1- Aug. 5.
Meet wild animals in the library and learn about their care. 11 a.m. July 14.
- Magic show for all ages. 11 a.m. July 28.
Pirates with Mary Beach.
Join in on the fun at the summer reading club party. Activities available for preschoolers through adults. 11 a.m. Aug. 11.
Del Mar Thoroughbred Club race season
- The ponies are running where the surf meets the turf, July 21-Sept. 8 in ol’ Del Mar. Family Sundays and Free and Easy Wednesdays return. Among the highlights: Two Beer Festivals, a Craft Microbrew Festival, the $1 Million Pacific Classic and the Weiner Dog National. Post time is 2 p.m. Wednesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays; 4 p.m. Fridays — 3:30 p.m. for the last three. Concerts are scheduled some Friday and Saturday nights. For a schedule of entertainers, see page B8. More race news at (858) 755-1141 or
Recreational programs and camps
Surf Sessions Surf Camp. San Diego’s premier surf camp offers day and overnight camps for ages 12-18. June 14-Sept. 3. Surf Sessions, 26th Street, Del Mar. $651-$1,000/week. (858) 481-1450,
Del Mar Union School District Day Camp.
Children entering grades 1-6 are invited to five two-week sessions that include arts and crafts, games and field trips. June 21-Aug. 19, Ashley Falls Elementary School, 13030 Ashley Falls Drive, San Diego. $42/non-field trip days, $63/field trip days. (858) 755-9301,