Falcons upset Pirates

Torrey Pines upset last year’s division 1 champion Oceanside 32-28 on Oct. 14. Sophomore quarterback Jason Heine made his debut, rotating with sophomore Miles Hastings enhancing the Falcons ground game, with Luke Duerr up the middle, Sully O'Brien sweeping the outside, or Heine carrying, with Ty Helfrich and Gabe Gmyr also making big gains.

Oceanside’s first drive stalled on a sack by Kevin Misak. Andre Mieiers made a good punt return, the first of many of the night for the fleet sure-handed senior. The teams traded punts. Penalties put the Falcons 2nd and 20 but Hastings passed to Michael Gadinas for 22 yards, and Heine ran it in for the touchdown. Torrey Pines 6-0.

The Pirates came right back with a big kickoff return and a balanced attack to take the lead 7-6. Again Torrey Pines potent running attack tore through the Oceanside defense as they marched 80 yards capped by a 17-yard run by Heine to retake the lead 13-7. Oceanside was thwarted on a third down pass play covered by Johnny Hastings. Their punt fell at the 5 but Mieiers fought free of a tacklers to bring it to the 15.

Torrey Pines marched all the way downfield to inches from the goal line, but penalties forced them to settle for a field goal by Nino Alworth, extending their lead to 16-7. Oceanside took over with 9 seconds remaining and the half ended on a sack by Jacob Schneider.

In the second half, Torrey Pines fumbled a high punt snap, Oceanside took over on the Falcon 7 and narrowed the score to 16-14. Mieiers returned the kickoff 20 yards and the Falcons moved it on the ground. A fumble nearly ended the drive but an alert Brian Minarik recovered, and O'Brien made it 23-14. Oceanside pitched to a running back who threw a long pass downfield to come within two, 23-21. Another bad punt snap gave Oceanside the ball on the Falcon 29 and a quick pass gave them the lead 28-23.

Mieiers received the kickoff on the 2 and slipped tackles to carry to the 45. Gadinas seemingly caught a touchdown pass, nullified by penalty. On 2nd and 25, O'Brien carried to near the goal line but penalties pushed it back and again the Falcons took a field goal closing to 28-26.

With 6:38 remaining and a two-point lead, Oceanside was driving when Mieiers intercepted near the 35 and ran back to the Pirate 2. O'Brien scored the touchdown but an attempted two-point conversion failed and the score was 32-28. Oceanside drove from their 20 to fourth down near midfield, converted, and drove to first and goal at the 9 with 50 seconds remaining. A pass was almost intercepted by Carsen Gentes. Then a fumble was recovered by Yujay Kurosu and run back to the Pirate 24, where Torrey Pines ran out the clock for the win. Torrey Pines hosts Carlsbad on Oct. 21.