The week in sports: Carmel Valley, Del Mar, Encinitas, Rancho Santa Fe, Solana Beach
By Gideon Rubin
• Torrey Pines extended its season-opening winning streak to five games with another decisive win as the Falcons trounced Mission Hills of San Marcos, 81-53, in a Wolf Pack-Horsman tournament game on Dec. 13.
Dominic Hovasse scored 18 points and had five assists to lead the Falcons. Marek Sullivan added 17 points and seven rebounds. Jackson Strong contributed 12 points and Timmy Saunders added 10 points.
The Falcons’ win followed a 64-41 victory over Patrick Henry on Dec. 12, in which Jack Beach and Jack Heller each led the team with 10 points.
Sullivan scored 16 points and Beach added 13 points to lead the Falcons in a 57-39 win against Scripps Ranch on Dec. 9.
The Falcons have outscored their opponents 335-214. Their average margin of victory so far this season is 24.2 points.
• La Costa Canyon defeated Tesoro of Rancho Santa Margarita (Orange County) 55-51 in a nonleague game on Dec. 13.
Brad Twombly scored 29 points to lead the Mavericks.
Tommy McCarthy added 13 points and Travis Fuller contribute 12 points, seven rebounds and five steals.
The Mavericks improved their overall record for the season to 4-1.
• After a slow start, San Diego Jewish Academy climbed above the .500 mark with its third straight victory, 48-47 over Preuss UCSD in a Bout in The South Tournament game on Dec. 12.
Ilya Levin scored 18 points to lead the Lions and Jordan Battaglia added 11 points, eight assists and eight steals.
Aaron Perez contributed 10 points and nine rebounds.
The victory followed a 41-38 tournament win against Castle Rock on Dec. 11 in which Battaglia led the Lions with 10 points and Ari Lew added nine points.
The Lions defeated Holtville 54-40 in a tournament game the previous day.
Battaglia led the Lions with 17 points and Levin and Perez added 13 and 10 points, respectively.
The Lions improved their overall record for the season to 4-3.
• Santa Fe Christian defeated Carlsbad 61-53 in a nonleague game on Dec. 12.
The Eagles improved to 3-2 overall for the season.
• Cathedral Catholic lost to Damien of La Verne 70-51 in a Jesuit tournament game in Carmichael (Sacramento County) on Dec. 13.
The Dons fell to 4-4 overall for the season.
• La Costa Canyon continued its torrid start as the unbeaten Mavericks trounced Escondido 70-29 in a nonleague game on Dec. 10.
Taylor Pierce scored 22 points to lead the Mavericks and Rachel Dumiak added 15 points.
The victory followed a 58-42 win against Westview the previous day, in which Dumiak led the Mavericks with 16 points and Pierce added 14 points.
Jessica Curtis contributed 10 points and Kelly Reed added eight points.
The Mavericks improved their overall record for the season to 6-0.
• Torrey Pines experienced its first loss of the season as the Falcons lost to Bishop’s 76-41 in the Matador Classic championship game on Dec. 13.
The loss followed a 71-66 victory over Horizon Christian in a tournament semifinal game on Dec. 10 in which Christina Ellis led the Falcons with 31 points and Sierra Campisano added 25 points and 17 rebounds.
Ellis also contributed nine rebounds, six assists and seven steals.
The Falcons fell to 6-1 overall for the season.
• Cathedral Catholic opened the season in impressive fashion as the Dons swept five games to win the Butch Lee Memorial tournament, defeating Carlsbad 3-2 in the Dec. 13 finals.
Riley Marshall, Mikayla Kappes and Emily Knepler each scored one goal to lead the Dons.
Audrey Hegardt and Kerry Kuhnert each added one assist.
Dons goalie Erin Kelly had six saves.
The victory followed a 2-0 win against San Marcos in the semifinals earlier in the day.
Knepler scored both of the Dons’ goals. Kappes, Paige Haley and Olivia Erlbeck each had one assist.
Kelly, who was credited with the shutout, had five saves.
The Dons opened the tournament with a 4-0 victory over Rancho Bernardo on Dec. 9 in which Erlbeck led the team with four assists and Kelly recorded four saves.
Kappes and Jessica Clegg each scored one goal and Haley had two assists to lead the Dons in a 2-0 victory over Torrey Pines on Dec. 11.
Marshall scored two goals and Erlbeck scored one goal and had one assist in a 6-1 win against Mater Dei of Santa Ana on Dec. 12.
The Dons improved their overall record for the season to 5-0.
• San Dieguito Academy lost to University City 3-2 in a nonleague game on Dec. 10.
The Mustangs rallied from a 3-0 halftime deficit as Samantha Mead scored two goals to get them back into the game.
Maia Nelson and Miriam Bloom each had one assist.
The Mustangs had a potential tying goal nullified by officials late in the game.
The Mustangs fell to 2-2-1 overall for the season.
Get the Del Mar Times in your inbox
Top stories from Carmel Valley, Del Mar and Solana Beach every Friday.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Del Mar Times.