The week in sports: Carmel Valley, Del Mar, Encinitas, Rancho Santa Fe, Solana Beach
• Torrey Pines got its offense going early and the Falcons never let their feet off the gas in a 17-4 nonleague victory over San Dieguito Academy in a nonleague Pirate Classic tournament game March 17.
Jake Singer had three hits and four RBI and Cole Klemke had two hits, scored four runs and drove in two runs to lead the rout.
Sandy Plashkes added two hits and three RBI. C.J. Stubbs contributed three hits and four runs scored.
Murray Kim and Ryan Bramlett each homered for the Falcons.
Falcons starter Joshua Sidney, who was credited with the victory, struck out six batters and allowed three runs (two earned) on six hits and one walk.
Jackson Werbelow and Eric Vela each contributed two hits in defeat for the Mavericks.
The Falcons improved their overall record for the season to 3-1-1.
The Mustangs fell to 2-3.
• La Costa Canyon knocked off a perennial regional power to win the prestigious Hilltop-Lolita’s tournament.
The Mavericks defeated Cathedral Catholic 4-3 in the March 21 title game.
Cole Mueller and Jacob Mullin each contributed two hits, and Griffen Case added a solo homer in defeat for the Dons, who jumped out to an early 2-0 lead.
The Mavericks improved their overall record for the season to 5-1.
The Dons fell to 4-2 overall for the season.
• Santa Fe Christian lost to La Jolla 9-7 in the Bully’s East Tournament title game on March 21.
The Eagles lost despite an outstanding individual effort from Dillon Paulson, who went 4 for 4 with a home run and four RBI.
The Eagles fell to 6-1 overall for the season.
• Canyon Crest Academy lost to Oceanside 7-4 in a Pirate Classic tournament game on March 17.
Jakob Loren and Jacob Sclar each had two hits and two RBI in defeat for the Ravens.
The Ravens fell to 1-4 overall for the season.
• Torrey Pines won the San Diego Country Club Invitational tournament on March 19.
Jamie Cheatham and Toby Song each contributed 2-over-par 74 scores to lead the Falcons, who shot a combined 302 on the 18-hold course to win the eight-team tournament.
The Falcons finished six strokes ahead of Canyon Crest Academy and Cathedral Catholic, which tied for second.
The Ravens were led by Marc Toma, who also shot a 74.
• Cathedral Catholic defeated Poway 15-6 in a nonleague game on March 18.
Sophomore standout Liam Cavanaugh-Fernandez scored six goals and had three assists to lead the Dons.
Dole Wolfson and Ryan Fazio each added two goals and two assists and Noah Assaraf contributed two goals.
The Dons improved their overall record for the season to 3-1.
• Canyon Crest Academy defeated Mullen (Denver) 12-10 in a nonleague game on March 20.
Alexa Carter scored three goals and had three assists to lead the Ravens, and Rayna Higuchi added two goals and two assists.
Arielle Shahrabani contributed three goals, and Daisy Valdivieso added two goals.
Midfielder Ally Deremer had a standout game defensively to help lead the Ravens.
The victory followed a dramatic 10-9 overtime win against Westview in a nonleague game two days earlier, in which Carter led the Ravens with five goals and Hannah Walker added three goals.
The Ravens improved their overall record for the season to 4-0.
• Santa Fe Christian lost to Mt. Carmel 8-7 in a nonleague game on March 20.
Sarah Mirenda scored two goals and had one assist in defeat for the Eagles.
SFC goalie Alex Holmes contributed four saves.
The loss followed a 13-8 victory over Rancho Bernardo in a nonleague game three days earlier, in which Sienna Verdult scored six goals to lead the Eagles and Aislinn Mahony added two goals and two assists.
Hollie Pelland and Avery Edwards each contributed two goals and Brianna Healy added three assists.
The Eagles improved their overall record for the season to 2-2.
• La Costa Canyon lost to two East Coast teams it played host to on March 21.
The Mavericks lost to Episcopal Academy (Newton Square, Pa.) 7-4 and St. Stephen’s and St. Agnes (Alexandria, Va.) 17-9.
The losses followed a 15-9 nonleague victory over Cathedral Catholic on March 19 in which Genesis Lucero scored two goals and had four assists, and Shannyn Westgarth scored four goals and had one assist to lead the Mavericks.
The Mavericks improved their overall record for the season to 4-4.
The Dons fell to 2-2 overall for the season.
• Top-seeded La Costa Canyon lost to No. 4 Lawndale in a SoCal Regional Division II playoff semifinal on March 17.
Tommy McCarthy scored 22 points to lead the Mavericks and Travis Fuller contributed 17 points and 13 rebounds.
The Mavericks conclude their season with a 24-8 overall record.
• Torrey Pines lost to No. 2 seeded Chino Hills 64-57 in a SoCal Regional Division I playoff semifinal on March 17.
The No. 6 Falcons conclude their season with a 31-4 overall record.
Get the Del Mar Times in your inbox
Top stories from Carmel Valley, Del Mar and Solana Beach every Friday for free.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Del Mar Times.