The week in sports: Carmel Valley, Del Mar, Encinitas, Rancho Santa Fe, Solana Beach
• La Costa Canyon rallied from a seven-point deficit in the final three minutes to defeat Westview 20-13 in an Avocado League West game on Oct. 23.
Quarterback Tanner Clark threw for 115 yards to lead the Mavericks. He also rushed for 65 yards.
The Mavericks tied the game with less than three minutes remaining when Clark completed a 31-yard scoring pass to Jake Cashman.
A Connor Brown interception set up Clark’s scoring run from the 2 that gave the Mavericks a 20-13 lead.
Jake Koehnke contributed two field goals for LCC.
The Mavericks improved to 1-1 in league and 6-2 overall for the season.
• Santa Fe Christian defeated Bishop’s 51-8 in a Coastal League game on Oct. 24.
Connor Whitton completed four of six pass attempts for 131 yards and rushed for two touchdowns.
Kevin Loney rushed for 63 yards and one touchdown on 14 carries, and Hank Ontiveros gained 45 yards and scored two touchdowns on nine carries.
Caleb Phillips had 10 tackles, and Gavin Dill had eight tackles and three sacks to lead the Eagles defensively.
The Eagles improved to 3-0 in league and 7-1 overall for the season.
• Torrey Pines defeated El Camino 17-13 in an Avocado League West game on Oct. 23.
The Falcons trailed 13-10 in the fourth quarter when Ben Spitters completed a game-winning 9-yard scoring pass to Michael Gadinis.
The Falcons improved to 2-1 in league and 3-5 overall for the season.
• Cathedral Catholic lost to St. Augustine 35-21 in a Western League game on Oct. 23.
The Dons rallied from an early 14-0 deficit on a pair of rushing touchdowns from Hogan Irwin, on from the 2 in the second quarter and the other in the third quarter from the 3.
St. Augustine broke open a 14-14 game with three unanswered touchdowns in the fourth quarter.
The Dons fell to 0-1 in league and 4-4 overall for the season.
• San Diego Jewish Academy lost to Calvin Christian 44-14 in an Ocean League game on Oct. 22.
Sebastian Mayer completed five of 13 pass attempts for 198 yards with two touchdowns and one interception.
Both scoring passes went to Hunter Kahn, who caught three passes for 153 yards.
Samuel Pidgeon led the Lions defensively with 21 tackles and Elliot Muller and Daniel Moch added 14 and 13 tackles, respectively.
The Lions fell to 0-3 in league and 1-4 overall for the season.
• Torrey Pines made quick work of Westview in a 3-0 (25-20, 25-17, 25-12) Palomar League victory on Oct. 22.
Savvy Simo had 12 kills to lead the Falcons, and Emily Fitzner added nine kills.
Kiara McNulty had 26 assists.
The victory followed a 3-0 (25-15, 25-13, 25-10) league victory over Canyon Crest Academy two days earlier in which Jillian Stockis led the Falcons with 13 kills and McNulty had 19 assists.
The Falcons improved to 6-0 in league and 24-1 overall for the season.
• San Dieguito Academy defeated Mission Hills 3-2 (24-26, 25-11, 25-21, 23-25, 16-14) in an Avocado League East match on Oct. 22.
Sarah Colla had 20 kills to lead the Mustangs, and Emily Kimball and Megan Scherer added 14 and 12 kills, respectively.
Lindsey King had 27 assists and Scherer had 25 assists.
The victory followed a 3-1 (25-16, 18-25, 25-19, 25-21) league victory over Del Norte the previous day in which Colla had 15 kills and Kiahna Holmen had 13 kills.
The Mustangs improved to 6-0 in league and 22-6 overall for the season.
• La Costa Canyon’s streak of seven consecutive victories ended with a 3-0 (27-25, 25-21, 25-21) loss to Del Norte in a nonleague match on Oct. 24.
Rachel Mills had 12 kills in defeat for the Mavericks. Camryn Machado contributed 24 assists and Bella Budwig added 14 assists.
The Mavericks defeated Rancho Buena Vista 3-0 (25-18, 25-17, 25-15) in an Avocado League West match the previous day.
Bronte Zlomek had 17 kills to lead the Mavericks and Mills added 11 kills.
Machado and Budwig added 23 and 17 assists, respectively.
The Mavericks improved to 6-0 in league and 15-9 overall for the season.
• Red-hot Torrey Pines extended its winning streak to nine games as the Falcons defeated Westview 7-0 in a Palomar League match on Oct. 23.
Gabriella “Gabi” Jimenez scored two goals and had three assists to lead the Falcons and Samantha “Sammy” Cirino added two goals and one assist.
Ryan Poe also added two goals.
The Falcons improved to 5-0 in league and 17-2 overall for the season.
• La Costa Canyon defeated Mission Vista 5-0 in an Avocado League West game on Oct. 23.
The victory extended the Mavericks’ winning streak to five games.
Madison Theodore scored one goal and had one assist to lead the Mavericks.
Heather Brennan, C.J. Jones, Nina Randolph and Chandler Waldal each added one goal.
The Mavericks improved to 6-0 in league and 15-4 overall for the season.
Get the Del Mar Times in your inbox
Top stories from Carmel Valley, Del Mar and Solana Beach every Friday for free.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Del Mar Times.